Thursday, March 13, 2008

Birthdays and such

Hello all! I thought it was about time I updated everyone on the events of the past week.
As many of you know (because many of you were there), last Saturday was my 1st Birthday Party! Boy was that a new experience. All in all, it was pretty cool. You get all dressed up and a bunch of people come to your house to fawn over you. You get to eat cake (which is definitely one of my favorites now) AND you get presents! "Can life get any better? I submit that it CANNOT!" (Mommy and Daddy listened to a Brian Regan CD once on our way to G & G Johnson's house; that guy's pretty funny). Anyway, it was a pretty good time. G & G Butts came from Nebraska to spend the afternoon, as did G & G Johnson and Aunt Courtney (only they came from El Dorado/Wichita). Mommy's best friend Candice & her husband Eric also made the long trek from Wichita. We got to eat Subway (which meant that I got to mooch food off of a whole lot of people at the same time, mostly my Grandmas and Aunt Courtney). Then we had snacks, well actually I didn't have snacks (nor did most people because they had just eaten lunch but anyway...). After a long bout of doting and passing me around, they set me in my high chair and then did the strangest thing. Mommy came walking in holding a plate with a big, sugary carrot on it that had a waxy stick stuck in it that was LIT ON FIRE! Really, it was the strangest thing I have seen so far. I mean, who lets their one-year-old play with fire, let along encourages them to do so by giving them a firey stick in their food. Anyway, while Mommy brought me the "Carrot of Death," everyone sang and smiled. Weird people, right? But, on a sidenote, the cake was good. At least, it was good once I got past the sticky factor. I think I'd try it again. Anyway, after everyone had eaten their fill of cake (by the way, I was given a carrot-shaped carrot cake while everyone else ate pieces of the ginormous bunny-shaped carrot cake as pictured below), we started in on opening presents! That was pretty fun too. Let's see... I got a doll, a dog (that picture is from right after I had opened it), a classic "Little Red Wagon," a shiny coin, a super-cool book that has pictures that actually pop right up off the page when you open it (apparently they call it a "Pop-Up" book) that was written by some guy named Seuss, a neck pillow (so I can travel in style), and quite a bit of witty/cute clothing. On the whole, I'd say I made out like a bandit. After opening presents, the party dispersed fairly quickly since the grandparents and Courtney all needed to be back to their respective churches on Sunday morning. Candice and Eric stayed the night to chat and hang out with us. Mommy & Daddy seemed to really enjoy getting to see them and I certainly enjoyed a continued audience for my antics.

Anyway, since this weekend (which, mind you, was still covered in snow) we've had some beautiful weather. We've gone on walks and even a bike ride. It's a good thing it has been so nice because yesterday morning, the Mazda's starter finally gave out. Daddy's had to ride to work on his bike (which he didn't mind at all when it was his decision). It's been making funny noises for years (the starter, not Daddy) but finally decided to call it quits just in time for Mommy & I to miss our daily walking appointment with some ladies at church. After quite some time and a whole lot of elbow grease (whatever that is), Daddy finally got the starter out of the Mazda and has sent to a shop to rebuild it for him. Fun, fun.

This weekend we are headed down to El Dorado/Wichita/Newton to visit family and for Oliver's birthday party. Hey, I wonder if I'll get to eat cake there too?!!

Until next time,

Addilyn Elise

No comments: