Monday, April 30, 2007

TOURNAMENT

Last Saturday was the annual Sun Yi's Tournament in Topeka. I of course went wearing my lucky Ninja Turtles shirt. Addilyn cheered me on this year also. Check out her cute little onesie. I was nervous this year. For the last two year I had gotten first in both Sparring and Forms, I was hoping for a third year.
We got to Topeka a little late. We basically walked in on the opening ceremonies. I had just changed into my Do Bok and was returning our area in the stand before I went down to the floor to participate. I happen to walk into the stands as the Korean national anthem was being sung and everyone was facing the flag, which was of course hanging right in front of me. Yeah that was a little uncomfortable. So anywho forms come along and I was happy with my performance but got 3rd. Forms are very subjective and every school teaches them a little different. Different judges can have very different results. But I was happy with my performance so all was well.

Literally about 5 hours later I get to spar. There end up being only four guys in my division (2nd degree's between ages 19 and 39, or something like that) who wanted to spar. Which kinda urked me cause I was hopeing for more than two rounds max. My first round was with a short guy who I had fought two years ago and beat. I was pretty confident and threw four kicks total to
earn my 3 points. The round was less than 30 seconds.
This picture is fun for three reasons.
1. I was throwing my winning kick (this is round one)
2. The guy was turning head and I ended up kicking him in the face
3.You can see the viewscreen of our camera filming the fight.
Second round comes along and face a guy from Minnesota who looks good and cocky. Well he was good. I got a point before he got his three, but the round was probably less than a minute. So I ended up with a 2nd place, a 3rd and some stuff to chew on. All in all it was a good day.

4 comments:

Kendall Smith said...

Congratulations Ninja!

Courtney said...

wish I could have been there!

...and Kendall, what the heck are writing on here at 6:31am? that's early.

Kendall Smith said...

Well, I think our clock is off--but it is not unusual for me to be online at all hours of the night--with a newborn, you know?????

Courtney said...

Yeah i know, my newborn does the same thing...